Sunday, September 25, 2011

Three strikes, One Fish...

...still far, far better than work.


Ridiculously low water levels and bright sunshine made the trout stalking pretty difficult yesterday.  The fish were feeding selectively, and it seems that every time I tried to cast to the rises, they would move to other locales.  It was, I'm afraid, a classic case of the angler spooking the fish.  The rainbow pictured above was a real beauty, and the result of sheer patience.  I finally enticed him with a large hopper, which matched absolutely none of the bugs on the surface of the water.

Doc fared a little better, managing a couple of nice fish - a rainbow and a cutbow. 



The day on the water didn't do wonders for the cold I've been trying to fight off for a few days.  I woke up this morning with my head about to explode.  I guess there's a price to pay sometimes; tough work, but somebody has to do it.

From the medicine cabinet...
The Flywriter

4 comments:

cofisher said...

Nice going. Talk some more about this thing you call patience...

Ryan said...

Someone has to do it indeed. Great pics. I hope to get out this weekend. The weather is suppose to be decent, plus it will give me something to write about. :)

The Average Joe Fisherman

JEG said...

Thanks Ryan. The Poudre's been a bear late in the fall here. They keep screwing back and forth with the water level up the canyon so what should have been an epic fall has turned into a frustrating one. I wish they'd just leave the river alone, for once. We're getting some snow here now, but I'm going to give it a whirl this weekend.

Dustin's Fly Box said...

looks like you had a blast!