Wednesday, May 5, 2010

(Very) Pale Dun

Before the water level in the Poudre rose so drastically, I was having a lot of success with some cream-colored pale duns that I picked up at JAX Outdoor in north Ft. Collins.  My compliments to whomever tied the flies.  I can't make a perfect replica, but the attached photo gives you the basic idea.  I found that it drew strikes from trout nearly as often as the BWOs, being the same basic pattern, but was even easier to follow on the surface.  I tied a bunch tonight and look forward to floating them later on in the season. 


















I don't know about anyone else, but I've been struggling on the Poudre lately.  Tuesday was particularly tough.  It seems that every time I go out, the wind decides to blow, and when the wind blows, I suck.  I managed to hook up a couple of times running some bigger nymphs along the bottom, but lost both.  I also had more than my fair share of snags on rocks and sticks, even in the faster water.  Guess my high-sticking needs a little work.  

No comments: