Sunday, May 30, 2010

Lots of H2O!

So, here's how it went.

I left work at about 2:30 on Friday and drove directly to the Poudre to do some scouting for the weekend.  We've had our first few days of real heat here in northern Colorado, and I arrived at the river to find a blown out, muddy flood of mocha-colored torrent.  The river reports suggested flows of nearly 1900 cfs, and I'd believe every bit of it at this point.

I know I previously spouted some nonsense about "hell or high water," but it's just too high for my tastes, not to mention the low visibility and lack of clarity.

I did some more tying instead, and focused on some gardening.  Pheasant tails, Stoneflies, and a new garden berm.


 



Temperatures are dropping into the low 70s for a high today, so I'm hoping it will slow some of the snow melt up the canyon and give the water a chance to drop a bit and clear up a little.  If everything cooperates, I'll swing back down tomorrow and give the high water a shot.  If not, I'll keep playing the waiting game with Arnie.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hang in there, John, and be patient. Soon you'll be fly-fishing away and enjoying another gorgeous Colorado summer!