Tuesday, March 23, 2010

It's an ugly world. Go fishing.

Yesterday was an historic day in my little world.
It was the best day of trout fishing yet for 2010.

I know what you're thinking.  "Did John not follow the news yesterday?  A health care victory for all Americans!"  Yeah, right.  I think I may have seen something about that as I tied the laces on my waders and re-spooled the flyline on my reel.  For the record, I guess I'm benignly ambivalent about the fact that millions of Americans who always wanted decent insurance but couldn't afford it will now be forced to either afford it or face the tax man yet again.

I used to be a news junkie in a previous, long-past life.  I kicked that habit and pretty much quit watching it, reading it, or caring too much about it.  Just out of curiosity, I decided to see what might be happening in the real world.    

10% unemployment. Health care legislation to force that 10% to somehow afford insurance. Schoolyard name-calling in the hallowed halls of Congress. Baseball players signing contracts to "earn" $184 million over eight years (according to my math, that's a paltry $23 million per year, or just shy of $142,000 per game.  Not bad for a night's playtime). Lines at food banks.

It's all out of whack. I quickly became exhausted by it, so I've chosen to once again simply not participate in any of it.  The moratorium on news is back in effect.

































Instead, I breathe, walk, cast, watch, catch, and memorialize in photos. Life's simpler that way.  No drama, no arguments, no nastiness.  Just me, Dad, and the trout yesterday.  It's as it should be.  Or at least the way it should be for me.   



.

2 comments:

JEG said...

Well, I'm not sure my fishing story quite borders on the approach of the Apocalypse, but I suppose it's possible.

JEG

Unknown said...

Nice looking fish, Taco! I'll admit that I am a little envious of your fishing endeavors.